Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I’m No Greenthumb

I’m no greenthumb, really I’m not. So when someone gives me plant and it dies (and it ALWAS does) I’m always terrified that they’ll ask about that plant and I’ll have to confess that I killed it. I tell ya, I get ulcers over this stuff.
So when my mother-in-law gave me two gorgeous ivies for our home here in Mississippi I was a little more than freaked. I knew I would inevitably kill the dang things. But month and after month the ivies clung to life. In fact, they did quite well. Yea, you noticed the past tense “did” there, right?
About a month ago The Hubs took them outside to water them AND LEFT THEM, in the hot Mississippi sun.   For. A. Week.    Somehow this has turned around to my fault (go figure) and I’ve been trying to save them ever since.
This past weekend we visited the in-laws where I told my mother-in-law about what happened and she asked a few questions and was a little shocked that in the two years since she gave them to me I had never repotted them. (Don’t judge me, you don’t know me!) So she suggested getting a bigger pot and gave me a few more tips.
And this time I listened!
Here’s a pic of the poor plants:                                                                 

Sad, aren’t they?
And here’s a pic of the too, too cute planters I found on clearance at WalMart:

I know, you love them too!

And here they are looking right at home in our living room!




I’m sure they will perk right up in no time!