Saturday, August 6, 2011

Deep Thoughts with Hannah

We were on our way to the mall today when Hannah, who had been in deep thought for a while, asked some tough questions:
Hannah: Mom, were you going to have a baby brother or a baby sister?
It took me a minute to realize that she was talking about the baby my mother was carrying when she passed away when she was just 23 years old, the baby was lost as well.
Me: We don’t know, hon. My dad thinks it was a boy, I think he wanted a boy since he already had two daughters. But by the time they got her to the hospital there was no hope to save the baby. They buried her with the baby still in her tummy.
Hannah: And both your mom and the baby are in Heaven?
Me: Yes, both are in heaven.                  
Hannah: So you’ll get to see them again when you get to Heaven?
Me: Yes, that will be a wondrous day!
She was quiet for a while. And then:
Hannah: Do you think your sister is dead?
Me: I’m not sure. She’s been missing for 10 years. Part of me thinks that yes, she is dead.
Hannah: And she is in Heaven?
Me: I’d like to think so.
Hannah: So, she’s got to see your mom and the baby?
Me: Yes, I suppose she has.
Hannah: Maybe she will tell you if it’s a boy or girl in your dreams!
Me: I like the way you think, Hannah-girl! That’s a beautiful thought!