Monday, June 13, 2011

More Tough Questions From a Kid

So the other day The Boy asks me “Mom, why are adults mean to kids?”
Huh, where did this come from? I quickly scanned any recent memories to see if I was the culprit he was talking about. Unfortunately when I do this I always get a crazed, far off look on my face.
“I’m not talking about you.” He reassured me.
“Then what are you talking about?” I asked.
“At the ball park, when we were playing our game why were the other parents from the other team mean to us?”
SUCH A GOOD QUESTION!!!!        
Let’s flash back to a game a few weeks ago when our team was up to bat and we were in the lead, the other team obviously didn’t like it, and the parents in the stand became flat out nasty. When our players came up to bat they would yell at them, call out names (yes, actual names!) and try to distract them. Folks, this is full grown adults picking on 7 and 8 year olds. Pretty disgusting.
It got so out of control that the officials actually came down and told the coaches that this was the worst case of unsportsmanlike behavior that they have ever seen.
It upset me then, it upsets me now.
I know that the coach from the other team was reprimanded for what happened, seems that he likes to egg the parents on. Niiiiice.
But right now I had a little guy wanting answers. “Well, buddy, sometimes adults do really stupid things. I know what you’re talking about, and I’m sorry that happened. It wasn’t right. Sometimes the parents get so caught up in the game that they don’t think about what they are doing and they do things that are just wrong. I’m so sorry.”
He seemed to accept what I said and started to walk away, then stopped and said “Ya know, mom, adults can really ruin a game for kids.”
Keep that in mind, big people, keep that in mind. Wise words from a seven year old.