Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Insomnia hits again, this time it’s all thanks to grammar.


I was exhausted by the time I headed to bed last night. I hadn’t slept much the night before and with the kids on Spring Break and yesterday being KK’s birthday there was no time to slow down. Plus The Hub’s cousin is in town for training and we hadn’t seen him in FOREVER, they grew up very close, and C thinks of him as a brother. So we took him out for a bite to eat and to catch up – well, as much as we could with the three gremlins accosting him, seriously, I was wondering when they were gonna ask for his autograph.
Before heading to bed I perused Facebook and remembered something that I had seen from a fellow blogger that cracked me up. She had it up on her Facebook page, but since I had seen it on my iPhone I couldn’t click “share”, so I hunted it down to I could share it. (Seriously go check her out at her blog Insane In The Mom-Brain)
This is it:


So as I’m drifting off to sleep that image floats through my mind and I chuckled a bit to myself, and then deep in the recesses of my mind I heard tires screeching on concrete and my inner voice scream “What is THAT???”
I tried to reason with myself, “Oh, it’s nothing, nothing at all. Nighty-night!”
But I was having none of that.  “I am a unicorn? I am a unicorn? I am A unicorn?”
I sighed to myself; obviously I was up on my grammar high horse.
Unicorn starts with a vowel. Shouldn’t that be ‘an’?

Let’s think about it:
I am an apple.
I am an ostrich.
I am an elephant (shut up!).
I am an unicorn. Nope it doesn’t work there.

Well, crap on a cracker, there goes my sleep. What’s up with this unicorn and why doesn’t it own it’s ‘an’, what’s it’s problem anyway?

Maybe it’s just the u’s that don’t use an, but I don’t remember that rule. Hmmm, let’s try it:
An umpire.
An umbrella.
An urchin.
An unicorn……. Uuuuuuggggghhhh!

Maybe it’s because of the ‘n’ right after the ‘u’, yea that must be it.
Let’s see here:
I have an uncle…..  Crap, that sounds perfectly normal.

Can someone please explain to me why this unicorn will not take it’s grammatical responsibilities so I can get some sleep?