Follow by Email

Friday, February 15, 2013

I had visitors this morning!

When my kiddos opened our front door this morning to see if it was hot or cold (something they do every morning, this is how they decide what to wear) they were greeted by two great big hairy toothy smelly smiles. Seriously. Two big black Great Pyrenees dogs were there at our door. They were super friendly, super smelly, both had on collars with tracking devices, and both were set on staying.
Hmmmmm..... what to do????
I checked the tags. I didn't recognize the street address but that's nothing new, I don't know most of the streets in the neighborhood. So I called the number. No answer. I left a message, something like "Hey there, my name is Lisa Matthews, I'm over on Glade Street, 1215 to be exact and I have 2 super friendly dogs that want to come back home to you. Call me back, or swing by."
Well, I had to run the kiddos to school so what do I do with the dogs?
I couldn't put them in the back yard with Achilles. So I figured I would put them in the kiddos bathroom for now. I just needed to put the cats away first. But when I opened the front door, Calvin was there wanting to go out.
Calving sees the dogs.
The dogs see Calvin.
Calvin runs back through the house.
The dogs give chase.
Chairs get knocked over.
Sofas get jumped.
Blinds get climbed.
Lamps get broken.
But all ended well.
They weren't "KILL! KILL! KILL!" It was more of a "Oooo! Fun! Something to chase!" Once they had Calvin cornered they stopped, it was like "Well, that was fun, what's next?" Even though they had an opportunity to rip him to shreds.
So I ended up putting them in the garage. I know, I should have put them there in the first place. Don't judge me!
I ran the kids to school. Then looked up the dogs' address in my iPhone and off we went on a walk. It was quite a trek, but we made it.
I rang the doorbell.
And rang the doorbell.
And rang the doorbell.
There was two cars there. But no one was answering the door.
So, I checked the fence, I couldn't see where they got out. I opened the gate and put them back in. I waited a bit. They seemed happy. I set off for my house. I called the owners again, "Hello, it's Lisa Matthews again. I walked the dogs back home and rang the doorbell but it doesn't seem anyone is home. I put the dogs in the backyard. I didn't see any breech. I hope they stay there. Bye."
I walked home, turning down this street and that street, until finally I turned onto Glade Street. I felt like I was being followed.
I turned around.
There they were.
They looked so guilty.
Both of them immediately laid down, head on their paws. I sat down on the curb, trying to decide what to do. There was really only one thing to do.
I stood up, patting my leg, "Come on!" Both dogs bounded over to me. Lets go, you'll hang out with me until your owners come.
I called the owners. "Uh, it's me again. They followed me home. Just come to 1215 Glade Street. That way we know they're safe and sound and not running wild. Bye."
Both dogs happily sat at the gate while I put Achilles inside. Then they made themselves at home in the backyard.
The owners came shortly after that. They were very thankful.
I told them it was no problem, I was glad to do it and that I was just happy they came to dog-friendly house.