Monday, November 14, 2011

We're Ready for the Next Surgery!

Jon has his surgery on Wednesday; this morning I got a phone call from the Woodall Lowery Outpatient Surgery Center where Jon will have his surgery. She just wanted to touch base and go over his medical history. She also said, since all the centers were computer linked with the clinics and hospitals in the area that they get an alert if a patient has been in the ER in the past 30 days and she noticed Jon had been to Wesley Medical Center’s ER on the 3rd. Why, yes, yes he had, I informed her.
We went over everything and it does look like he will be able to go ahead and get his tonsils and adenoids removed as planned. She was a very nice lady, with great bed-side-manners. Though I think I caught her a bit off-guard when she asked about his weight.
The conversation went like this:
Nurse: Mmmmm-kay, and he’s 4 foot 2 inches tall?
Me: Yep.
Nurse: And, let’s see here…… oh, that can’t be right. We have his weight at 50 pounds.
Me: No, that’s the right weight.
*crickets chirping*
Nurse: Does he any other medical problems that we aren’t aware of?
Me: Dysfunctional taste buds that only allow him to eat McDonald’s chicken nuggets and Ramen noodles.
Nurse: I didn’t mean it like that. I am so sorry. It’s just that ….. Wow, he must be a skinny boy.
Me: No worries, and yes – he is quite skinny.

After I hung up I giggled a bit, I’m sure she will word her conversations differently from now on. She did not offend me one bit. He is skinny. He does need to put some weight on those bones. But, quite frankly, Jon is perfect just the way he is!