Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pitiful, Just Pitiful

Jon’s tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy went great. The whole procedure lasted about 15 minutes, he went back around 7:30 and was out by 7:45.
Ok, first let me back up – at our pre-op appointment with Dr. Hodges, as we were leaving I was totally expecting the whole “See you tomorrow” and a wave, but no – not this doc. He sat down, looked me in the eye and said “I promise you I will give him the best possible care I can. I will treat him as if he were my own son, Ms. Matthews. I just want to assure you that.” I was shocked and touched. No other doctor in the past for any other surgery had ever done this. It meant the world to me. I would love to send out a mass letter to every single doctor out there and say “Hey, listen up! This – this right here, what this doctor did – it took no more than one minute, but it brought me to tears and put my mind at ease. It also made me a huge fan.”
Ok, now back to the surgery, everything went great and they were prepping him for going home (they released him at noon) and they were telling us what he could eat and what was on the “definitely do not eat” list. One of those “do not eat” items was bacon. The Boy loves his bacon. He adores it. He would eat it every day if he could. Tragic.
So today Jon was craving a strawberry shake and I promised him Sonic shakes and slushies anytime he wanted one. So as we were grabbing a shake he mentioned that he really, really, really wanted a new Halo Lego vehicle to put together. *sigh* I’m a sucker for this kid.
We ran in and grabbed a really cool one that he had eyes on for quite some time (plus grabbed some goodies for the girls), and then went to stand in line. We had our stuff up on the belt, but it was only a few items, so the lady behind me began putting her groceries up on it. First item up: BACON.  (also, the lady in front of me was writing a check and was having a difficult time, so we were in for a wait!) Jon saw the bacon and gasped, grabbing my arm and pointing to the yumminess.
“Mom, look, baaaaaaacon. I remember when we used to eat bacon. I love it so much. Will we ever eat it again mom? Will we?”
The lady looked at me with shock and pity, almost like she thought I couldn’t afford to feed my child, but before I could laugh it off or answer Jon, the Boy sighed so dang loud saying “BAAAAAACOOOOOON!”
By now the ladies jaw had dropped.
“Sorry,” I said. “He loves bacon, but he had his adenoids and tonsils taken out yesterday so bacon or anything scratchy is off the menu right now.”
Relief swept over her face. “Oh!”
I then looked at Jon, “Yes, you’ll be able to have bacon again. In two weeks to be exact.”
But still, I could not have left soon enough.